Sunday, September 16, 2012

creature comforts


The process of becoming an "adult" and gradually taking on greater responsibility for my personal expenditures has meant that I am much less prone these days to spend money on sweet nothings. But since I was little, I've felt a magical pull toward certain objects that seem to have their own character or personality, particularly if these objects speak to my inner home body--like warm socks, wool sweaters, or well-worn books. It's these homey items that I can never resist taking home with me. And that's what happened when I found these little cuties in a little shoe store in Bethesda. They are made from soft leather and canvas, with apparent stitches. Their simple, unfinished appearance is friendly. And they are quiet.

These shoes are special because of what they evoke in me--a long-lost sense of childhood, with its cozy routines, its simple pleasures and tiny, everyday adventures. When the weather gets colder, I'm going to put on these shoes and go crunching around in the autumn leaves. New shoes for a new adventure, and for a big Olga who still wishes she were small.